Sunday, January 1, 2012

Call Your Girlfriend (I found percussion)

Tell her not to get upset, second guessing everything you said and done.

Robyn's "Call Your Girlfriend" arranged and performed here by Erato for three female voices and table percussion (empty cottage cheese containers, if I understand correctly). Hat tip to Thomas Deneuville for this one.



This is a great idea, and it reminds me of my conundrum regarding how to handle my acappella + percussion songs like My Father Was A Barber. Percussion is critical to the sound I'm trying to build, so I've been fretting this whole time over how I can get together with enough percussionists and write out complicated arrangements. But another answer is for me to grab some found instruments from around the house and start making my own noises. It's not like I don't do that already, but for some reason I hadn't really thought about fully embracing found percussion in my recordings.

Give your reasons, say it's not her fault.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that is really cool. Thanks for sharing! Look forward to hearing your songs with "found" percussion as well.

    (And now I'm suddenly remembering the show Stomp, which of course has its own distinctive crowd-pleasing tone and mood...)

    ReplyDelete